The Internet and the Global Information Society.
by Medzhybovska Nataliya
The Internet has a big impact on the global information society’s development. As the social phenomenon the Internet is the global resource for communications, which provides exchange of the text, graphics, audio- and video- information and access to the on-line services without territorial and national boundaries. It is the effective tool of researches (scientific, social, marketing) and business development and has a great influence on a mass audience. The huge technological possibilities of the Internet cause the fast development of the global information society.
The Internet has the wider possibilities to effect on the mass audience, than other media resources, namely:
· The exact orientation on the target audience. Means segmentation of the information recipients on the base geographical, age, sexual, professional features, on the topics of visited web sites, on the way of using information etc.;
· The tracking of the on-line visitor’s behavior and making regulating actions on the base of its analysis (perfecting a site, product etc.);
· The availability (24х7);
· The interactivity, which means a feedback from the users, an interaction with a products and in some cases usage of its trials (software’s demo-version, book’s chapter, movie’s trial etc.);
· The allocation of the variety information (text, audio, graphics, video, special effects);
· The efficiency in distribution and obtaining the information;
· The relatively low costs;
· The focusing of the user’s attention and possibility to clear up the details;
· The creation of the virtual communities based on common interests. On my mind, it provides a positive effect on psychological health of the person.
The Internet produces the unique abilities for the effect on a mass audience. However I want to argue with some scientists concerning their exaltation about the role of the Internet in the world development. So, the scientists from famous Massachusetts Institute of Technology made the greatest of all assumption. They declared that the Internet is the «troops of the peace». On opinion Nicholas Negroponte, children of the future " will not know, what is it nationalism ". His colleague, Michael Detrouzos, has written that the digital communications will bring peace and will help to prevent the future flashes of ethnic and national conflicts. Their idea is that the improvement of the communications and information will reduce misunderstanding between people and will prevent any conflicts.
But the history shows that the similar features were already repeatedly assigned to many new technologies. In the middle of the XIX century people met the first transatlantic telegraphic message’s arrival with the same enthusiasm. In the XX century they met the radio and TV era with the same ecstasy. " The Nation will speak with the Nation about the peace " – it was the British BBC’s slogan. The Internet is called the XXI century’s technology. Despite of all its advantages the Internet unfortunately can’t prevent wars and inequality. Moreover, it causes the new type of an inequality called " the digital divide ".
From the point of effect on a mass audience I would like to note the most important Internet features:
1. The efficiency in obtaining information;
2. The rise of availability in obtaining information, which causes the vital necessity for the increasing number of people in daily acquaintance with news;
3. The public opinion depends on opinion of small number of the leaders;
4. The Internet realizes the communication needs of people.